The Palos-Orland Area Branch of the American Association of University Women provides an opportunity for enduring friendships as educated individuals work together to further personal growth and usefulness to advance the status of women and carry out the responsibilities of community leaders.
Organized in 1971, the Palos-Orland Area Branch represents many different colleges and universities. Its regular members reflect a wide spectrum of ages, interests and talents. In addition, affiliate membership is open to any student enrolled in an accredited college or university.
Palos-Orland Area Branch activities include:
- Financial support for the National Education and Legal Advocacy Funds, the local Moraine Valley Community College Anita Ritzler Scholarship, and the Crisis Center for South Suburbia , a Women’s shelter.
- Annual Math/Science Conference for 5th Grade Girls highlighting careers in this field
- Annual Essay Contest for children celebrating Women’s History Month
- Annual banquet to honor outstanding women in the community
- Monthly meetings featuring distinguished speakers on women’s issues
- Two monthly book discussion groups- Contemporary Selections & Mystery Mondays
- Great Decisions study group on international issues
- Gourmet Dining Group
- Theatre Group
- Movie Group
- “Like” us on Facebook– here’s how